JOHN D. MARLIN, a farmer, was born in Johnson County, Clark
Township, December 30, 1836, and is a son of Nathaniel and Mary
(Doty) Marlin. The former was born in Mount Holly, N. J., November
29, 1810. He immigrated from New Jersey, about 1833, and entered
the land on which J. D. Marlin now lives. He died in Bartholomew
County, May 2, 1878; the latter was born December 12, 1810, in
Virginia, and is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Wilson) Doty,
who removed to this state from Virginia, May 8, 1821, and settled
in White River Township, and is still living. Mr. Marlin spent his
early life in Bartholomew County, on the farm. He received a common
school education in the district school, and through the books and
newspapers has become conversant on subjects of general interest.
At twenty years of age he began to work at the carpenter's trade.
He followed this trade for about two years, and then commenced
farming, which he continued four years, and removed to Johnson
County, and purchased land in Clark Township, where he has since
remained. February 20, 1862, he was united in marriage to Jeretta
Spaugh, a daughter of Timothy E. and Elizabeth J. (Robbins) Spaugh.
Mrs. Marlin was born June 20, 1841. To this union the following
children were born: Alta, August 26, 1863; Sherman N., November 21,
1864; Adda M., June 6, 1866, all of whom are deceased. Mrs. Marlin
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Marlin owns 143
acres of well-improved land.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.