RICHARD A. MORRIS, a farmer, was born in Rush County, Ind., October 25, 1844, and is a son of James C. and Nancy B. (Ward) Morris. His father was born in Pennsylvania about 1822, the mother was born in Indiana about 1824. Her parents were originally from England. Our subject's early life was spent on the farm. He received a common school education, and in January, 1864, at the age of nineteen, he enlisted in the Civil War under Capt. Albert Moorehouse, Company L, One Hundred and Twenty-first Regiment, Ninth Indiana Cavalry Volunteers, and was discharged at Vicksburg, August 28, 1865. On January 17, 1878, he was united in marriage to Mary J. Baas, daughter of Henry and Mary (Glass) Baas, and to this union the following children have been born: Charles A., February 1, 1879; James E., September 20, 1880, and Henry A., December 2, 1882. The mother of the above children was born in Marion County, September 20, 1859. Her father was a native of Holland. Her mother was a native of Kentucky. Mrs. Morris is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics, Mr. Morris is a democrat, casting his first vote for Seymour. He owns eighty acres of well-improved land.

Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker

Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.


DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used by individuals researching their ancestry and is only for personal use. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.