John R. Patterson was born in Clark County, Ind., February 18, 1825, and is the son of Thomas and Frances (Harris) Patterson; the former born April 24, 1801, of Scotch-Irish descent, and the latter born in 1804. He came with the parents to this county and settled in Franklin Township, and in 1848, removed to Clark Township and settled on the farm on which he now lives. He received a common school education. At the age of twenty-two years he began life for himself as a farmer, which occupation he has followed all his life. On February 25, 1847, he was united in marriage to Sarah Stewart, a daughter of James (and Miss Ogdon) Stewart. This union was blessed with the following children: Mildred F., born March 11, 1848; Eliza A., December 18, 1849; Nancy C., January 30, 1851; Mary E., December 17, 1852; Alice E., July 30, 1855; Thomas G., February 11, 1857, and James H., April 8, 1858. The mother of these children was born in August, 1823, in Indiana, and died January 16, 1859. He was united in a second marriage with Sarah Martin, daughter of Henry (and Miss Payne) Martin. This union resulted in the birth of the following children: Willis G., born February 28, 1863, and Etta J., January 22, 1865. The mother of these children was born February 16, 1825, and died October 24, 1877. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Grange order, and is a Presbyterian. In politics, he was formerly a whig, but became a republican on the birth of that party, and has been an advocate of its principles ever since. He now owns sixty acres of well-improved land in Clark Township, Johnson Co., Ind.