OMAR SPENCER, a prosperous and industrious farmer and stockraiser of Clark Township, Johnson County, was born February 21, 1835, he is a son of Lyman and Sarah (Turner) Spencer; the former was a native of New York, and was born December 7, 1798, of English descent, and died July 7, 1872; the latter was a naïve of Pennsylvania, and was born April 12, 1797, of Irish descent, and died July 19, 1851. To their union the following children were born: Sarah A. (deceased), April 10,1828; John T. (deceased), August 19, 1830; Robert P. (deceased), September 25, 1832. Omar, February 21, 1835; Samuel J. (deceased), October 12, 1837, and Maggie M., February 2, 1839. At the age of four years, our subject was placed in the family of his uncle, Parker Spencer, who reared him to manhood. During his boyhood and youth he worked upon the farm in summer, and attended the district school in winter. He received a good common school education; and is conversant upon all subjects of general interest. At the age of twenty-one years he began life for himself as a farmer, which pursuit he has continued through life, and in connection with farming he has also made a specialty of raising shorthorn cattle. March 11, 1858, he was united in marriage to Mary E. Halfaker, daughter of Jacob and Ruth (Campbell) Halfaker. She was born February 5, 1837. Their union was blessed with the following children: Maggie E. (deceased), April 5, 1859; Lyman, December 29, 1860; Kate, February 18, 1863; Grafton, February 11, 1870, and Omar, November 22, 1871. On January 12, 1887, Mr. Spencer was united in a second marriage, with Mrs. Anna Phemister, a daughter of S. T. and Mary (Wiemer) Pierson. She is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. His first wife was a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Spencer now owns 480 acres of choice land in Johnson County, about 400 of which are under a high state of cultivation. In politics, he is an ardent republican.

Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker

Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.