James W. Terman, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Clark Township, was born in Muskegeon County, Ohio, February 10, 1834, a son of John and Ann (Jones) Terman; the former was born in Maryland in 1793, and was of Scotch-Irish descent. He was in the War of 1812. A peculiar incident happened by which he entered this war. He had a neighbor of whom he thought a great deal, who was drafted, and the man was crying to think he had to leave his family, when Mr. Terman volunteered to go in his place, if they would take him, he being only eighteen years of age at the time, and arrangements being made, he took the place of his friend and served with credit to the close of the war. He died in 1869. The mother was born in Virginia, in 1799, and died in 1871. Our subject came with his parents from Ohio in 1847, and settled in Bartholomew County, this state, where he remained seven years, thence to Shelby County, where he remained one year, then to Johnson County, and settled in Clark Township on the farm where he now lives. He received a good common school education. At the age of nineteen years he began life for himself as a farmer. On October 12, 1854, he was united in marriage to Martha Cutsinger, a daughter of William and Parthena (Deupree) Cutsinger; the former was born in 1813, and came to this state when only nine years of age, is of German descent; the latter was born in 1814. To this union the following children were born: James A., deceased; Elizabeth, June 26, 1857; Martha P., April 10, 1859; Emma A., January 13, 1861; Flora E., April 4, 1863; James W., February 22, 1865; Joseph E., June 9, 1867; James A., deceased; Omar, deceased; Ida, November 9, 1872; Sarah, deceased; Lewis M., February 15, 1877; Bertha, February 5, 1879, and Jessie Blanche, June 15, 1881. The mother of these children was born September 29, 1837, in Shelby County. He and wife are members of the Christian Church. In politics, he is an ardent republican, casting his first vote for John C. Fremont. He was chosen by his party in convention, as their candidate for trustee in the spring election of 1888; he ran against an opposing majority of twenty-five, and reduced it to eleven votes. He now owns 210 acres of well-improved land.