George C. Banta was born near where he now resides, July 8, 1850, son of Peter J. and Mary (Brewer) Banta, and is the third in a family of five children. He was raised on a farm, and first attended the Hopewell Academy, and afterward spent some time in a commercial school at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. In 1876 Mr. Banta removed to Franklin and engaged in the drug business, which he continued more than four years, when, on account of failing health, he was obliged to quit the merchandise business, and in 1881 removed to his present farm, in the western part of Franklin Township. The same contains 180 acres, of which 137 acres were entered by his grandfather Banta, in 1826. The marriage of Mr. Banta occurred October 17, 1878, to Miss Irene E. Vawter, a native of Martinsville, Ind., born September 24, 1857. To this union are these two children: Clara, born September 15, 1881, and Frank C., born December 8, 1883. In politics, he is an ardent democrat, and he and wife are members of the Franklin Presbyterian Church.