HENRY C. BARNETT - Henry C. Barnett, junior member of the law firm of Miller & Barnett, of Franklin, Johnson County, Ind., was born in Blue River township, near Edinburg, Johnson County, on December 12, 1848, and is the son of Ambrose D. and Sophronia (Riggs) Barnett. The father was born in Nicholas County, Ky., on July 24, 1809, and was the son of John P. Barnett, a native of Culpepper County, Va. He removed to Indiana in about 1821, and located in Johnson County. He followed farming in this county until the spring of 1853, and then removed to Hamilton County, Ind., where he resided until March 6, 1864, and then returned to Johnson County, and located on a farm near Nineveh. In the year 1867, he removed to Williamsburg, Johnson County, and in 1877, he removed to Tipton, Tipton Co., Ind, where he remained for about four months, and then returned to his farm near Williamsburg. He next removed to Williamsburg, where he died may 20, 1885. He was justice of the peace of Blue River and Nineveh townships for quite a number of years. He also followed milling in connection with his farm. The mother was born in Genessee County, N. Y., on January 23, 1817, and is the daughter of Ransom Riggs, Sr., deceased who was a native of Connecticut; removed thence to New York State, and thence Decatur County, Ind., and thence to Johnson County. She is now living at the old home in Williamsburg. To the parents nine children were born, of whom our subject is the sixth. Of the children, seven are now living. Our subject was reared on a farm, and early attended district schools, and then attended Nineveh high school, and then Franklin College for a short time. He taught school for about six years, in Bartholomew, Johnson, and Hamilton counties. He began studying law in November, 1874, in Judge Woollen's office, in Franklin, and was admitted to the bar in February, 1875. He next began practicing law in Franklin, and on November 23, 1875, formed a partnership with Robert M. Miller, which firm continues up to the present. He has served several years on the city school board. In politics, is an independent, and in 1878, was a candidate against regular democratic nominee for representative of Johnson County, and defeated by only twenty-seven votes, where regular democratic majority is from 400 to 500. Married on April 25, 1872, to Miss Kate Tucker, who was born in Johnson County, on May 20, 1853, and is a daughter of John T. Tucker, deceased. To this union five children were born. They are members of the Christian Church.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.