Ben P. Brown, the subject of this sketch, is one of the representative young citizens of Johnson County, Ind., and postmaster of the city of Franklin. He was born near the village of Trafalgar, in Union Township, Johnson County, on September 12, 1854, and is the son of Samuel and Mary G. (Branch) Brown. The father was born near Shelbyville, Ky., April 8, 1828, and is the son of James Brown, a native of Kentucky. Samuel, the father, removed to Indiana in about 1846, and located in Johnson County. He has followed farming all his life, and now resides on his farm about one and one-half miles east from Franklin. The mother was born in Kentucky, near Bedford, and November 22, 1829, and is the daughter of Benjamin Branch, who was a native of Virginia, who removed to Kentucky, and thence to Johnson County, Ind., where he died. The mother is still living. Our subject was reared on the farm, and secured a good common school education. He remained on the farm until 1880, teaching school during the winter months, for six consecutive years. He then removed to Franklin and purchased a half-interest in the book and stationery firm of Brown & Yeager, that firm succeeding Downey & Yeager. August 25, 1884, he retired from a membership in the above firm, and for about ten months filled the position of bookkeeper for the firm (Yeager & McCoy). July 1, 1885, he was appointed postmaster by President Cleveland, and holds the same at present, making a most efficient and satisfactory official. He is an active member of Hesperian Lodge, No. 12, K. of P., in which he has filled the chairs of prelate and vice chancellor commander, and is the present chancellor commander. He is also a member of the uniform rank of the above lodge. He was married October 10, 1878, to Angie M., daughter of Adam Dunlap, who was born in Clark Township, Johnson Co., Ind., June 18, 1856. Adam Dunlap was a native of Ohio. To this union a son and daughter have been born.