JAMES F. BROWN, the subject of this sketch, is one of the lading farmers of Franklin Township, living in the suburbs of the town of Franklin, on a 400-acre farm. He was born in Wythe County, Va., on April 11, 1828, and is the son of Andrew and Susan (Leonard) Brown, both natives of Virginia. The father was born in 1804, and the mother in 1802. They came to Johnson County, Ind., in 1830, and settled in White River Township. They were among the pioneers of White River Township. He entered an eighty-acre tract of land, and subsequently added thirty-five acres more. Altogether he owned over 500 acres. He died in March, 1864, and the mother died in 1872. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To the parents three sons and three daughters were born, of whom four areliving. Our subject was reared on the farm, and secured a limited education. In 1851, he began life for himself by going onto a farm in Union Township. He remained in Union Township until 1871, and then removed to his present place. He owns, altogether, upward of 800 acres of land, and a handsome brick residence on the farm, where he lives, which cost about $5,000. He was married in 1851, to Martha Flake, who was born in Dearborn County, Ind., on April 17, 1835, and is the daughter of Adam Flake. To this union seven children have been born, two of whom are dead: Susan, deceased, Angeline, Laura, deceased, Wylie, Andrew, Ida and Effie. Mr. and Mrs. Brown and three children are members of the Christian Church. He is a democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Buchanan.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.