SHADRACH C. BROWN, the subject of the following sketch, is a leading citizen of Johnson County, Ind., and an attorney and justice of the peace of Franklin, the county seat. He was born in Ashe County, N. C., June 3, 1841, where he remained until 1860, and then with his parents came to Indiana, and settled in Franklin Township, Johnson County. His parents being possessed of only moderate means, his advantages in youth were limited, and what he is today, he has accomplished by industry and his own efforts. While living in North Carolina, he secured a very limited education, and what education he did secure, was in the school of Franklin township, and at the college in Franklin and Edinburg, after he had returned from the late war. He enlisted September 13, 1861, under Capt. Samuel Lambertson, and was a member of Company F, Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and with the regiment returned to his native state. He served for three years -- his full time of enlistment -- participating in the numerous engagements of the Army of the Potomac. He was wounded May 6, 1864, at the battle of the Wilderness, from which wound he lost his right arm by amputation the same day, the same being taken off at the socket. August 22, 1862, he was captured at Catlet Station, Va., as a prisoner of war, and was confined for two weeks in Libby Prison, and was then removed to Belle Island, where he was paroled, and was subsequently exchanged, and returned to his regiment, at Pratt's Landing. He was mustered out of service on September 20, 1864, and returned to Johnson County, Ind. After returning home he entered the public schools of Franklin, and next attended school at Edinburg, for one year. Returning to Franklin he entered the preparatory class at Franklin College, and attended for four years. In 1870, he engaged in the book and stationery business in Franklin, and continued in the same for about five years. In 1871, he was elected city treasurer of Franklin, and held the same for four years. After leaving the mercantile business he engaged in school teaching for about two years, and in 1878, was elected as a republican to the office of trustee of Franklin (and what is now Needham) Township, and though the vote was very close on the balance of the ticket, he received a majority of 103 votes. He held the office for two years. During his incumbency of the trustee's office, he read law, and in 1880, was admitted to the bar. He was elected justice of the peace, and since 1880, has conducted the practice of law, and the duties of the office of magistrate jointly, and is also doing an extensive business in the fire insurance agency. On October 7, 1871, he married Lydia, the daughter of Joseph A. and Nancy (Jones) Dunlap. As a result of this union one daughter, Nellie S., was born January 21, 1876. Mr. Brown is an active member of the Johnson Lodge, No. 76, I. O. O. F., and in that has passed through all the chairs in the subordinate and encampment; has represented subordinate lodges twice a the Grand Lodge, and the encampment once in the Grand Encampment, and is now secretary of the subordinate lodge. His parents were William W. and Ellen (Houck) Brown, both of whom were natives of Ashe County, N. C. The father was born June 29, 1808, and was the son of George W. Brown, a native of North Carolina. William, the father, was killed in Johnson County by a falling tree, on January 3, 1865. The mother was born April 4, 1808, and was the daughter of George Houck, a native of Germany. She died September 3, 1866. They are the parents of four sons and three daughters, of whom two sons and two daughters, including our subject are living.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.