W. A. Carpenter, a merchant tailor on the corner of Jefferson and Jackson streets, and one of the prominent young citizens of Franklin, Ind., is a native of Johnson County, Ind., where he was born February 5, 1860. He was partly reared on a farm in Franklin (now Needham) Township, and was educated in the public schools of Franklin. Upon leaving school he learned the tailor’s trade, in Franklin, and for about seven years he worked at the same in the above place. February 1, 1887, he opened up an establishment for himself, and now owns one of the leading tailoring houses in Franklin. He does all kinds of first-class work, and carries a large and select stock of suitings. He learned cutting in Indianapolis, and is able to guarantee his work. He has met, and is meeting, with success, and has a large and growing trade. He united in marriage on November 25, 1885, to Emma Swaim, who was born in Hensley Township, Johnson County, Ind., December 19, 1868, and is the daughter of William and Matilda Swaim. To this union one son, Earl, was born on April 25, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of Sam Oyler Lodge, No. 12, K. of P. The parents of our subject are James and Hannah (Ware) Carpenter. The father was born in Kentucky, and when a boy came with his parents to Johnson County, Ind. He removed to Boone County, Ind., in about 1870, where he now resides on a farm. The mother was born in Johnson County, Ind. To the parents two boys, have been born, our subject, and Charles, a younger brother.