Dr. G. W. Covert, a leading dentist and physician of Franklin, and one of the representative citizens, and a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Johnson County, Ind., was born five miles northwest from Franklin, on August 18, 1833. He is the son of Daniel and Rachel (Voorhies) Covert. (See sketch of Joseph V. Covert for sketch of parents.) He was reared on the farm, and secured his early education in the district schools, and by pursuing his studies by lamplight, securing books out of the old Johnson County Workingmen’s Institute Library. He began life for himself when a little over twenty years of age, by renting his father’s farm, and remained on the farm in Johnson County until 1860, when he and his father removed to Kansas, and continued farming. In 1863 he began reading medicine in Kansas, and during the winters of 1864–65, attended medical lectures at the Rush Medical College at Chicago. Returning to Kansas he began practicing in April, 1865. A year was spent in practicing in Kansas, then removed to Montgomery County, Ill. In the fall of 1867 he returned to Kansas, owing to the feeble health of his parents, thus sacrificing a large and lucrative practice, which he had built up. While in Illinois, he took up the study of dentistry, and purchasing books and instruments began practicing the same. In 1873, he returned to Indiana, and located at Whiteland, Johnson County, where he practiced both dentistry and medicine, until June, 1887, when he removed to Franklin and opened an office. He enjoys the reputation of being not only a skilled dentist, but an able physician, though his attention is turned chiefly to dentistry and the treatment of chronic diseases, in which profession he is meeting with success, and establishing a good business. He was united in marriage on February 2, 1854, to Mary E. Lagrange, who was born in the Hopewell neighborhood, three miles west from Franklin, Ind., in April, 1836, and is the daughter of Aaron Lagrange. To this union six children have been born, as follows: E. Lynn, November 11, 1854; Carrie C., February, 1857, now Mrs. R. M. Lynn, editor of the Greenfield Republican, of Hancock Co., Ind.; M. Electa, May 20, 1860, now wife of John D. Whitesides, Jr., of Needham township, Franklin County; A. Josephine, February 2, 1863, deceased February 15, 1864; Mollie, July 8, 1866, now the wife of Josiah Sharp, of Greenwood, Ind.; and Aura T., August 8, 1870. Dr. Covert, wife, and all of his children, are members of the Presbyterian Church.