H. N. Dunlap, the subject of the following sketch, is one of the young merchants of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., and dealer in groceries and provisions of all kinds, also fruits, candies, cigars and tobacco. He was born in Franklin, on December 6, 1862, and is the son of G. W. and L. J. (Burnett) Dunlap, the former being a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Virginia. In 1883, the parents removed to Indianapolis, where they now reside, the father being engaged in the nursery business. Our subject was educated in the public schools of his native town, and on August 2, 1881, engaged in the grocery business, beginning on a limited capital, but by strict attention to business, fair and honest dealing, has prospered, and he now carried an average stock of between $4,000 and $5,000. He was married October 19, 1887, to Miss Mary V. McDonald, who was born in Johnson County, and is the daughter of James D. McDonald. Mrs. Dunlap is a member of the Christian Church.