J. D. George, M. D., prominent physician of the homœopathic school of Franklin, Johnson County, Ind., was born in Jefferson County, Ind., on March 13, 1854, and is the son of W. J. and Jane (Spann) George. The father was born in Kentucky, in about 1827, and is the son of Milton George, a native of Virginia, and a pioneer of Kentucky, who removed at an early date to Indiana, and located in Jefferson County. W. J., the father, has followed farming as a life vocation, and now resides in Jefferson County. The mother was born in Jefferson County, Ind., and was the daughter of Moses Spann, who died in 1886, in his eighty-fifth year; she died when our subject was but five months of age, and his father subsequently married Edith Spann, sister to his first wife. To our subject’s parents two sons and one daughter were born, all of whom survive, and to the second marriage seven children were born. Our subject was reared on the farm, where he remained, attending school during the winter months, until he was nineteen years of age, and then spent a year in clerking in Madison, Ind. Returning to the farm he attended the high school for two years. He then taught school for two years, reading medicine at the same time, the two years being spent at the Reform School at Plainfield, Ind., of which he was an officer. He then located at Indianapolis, Ind., and read medicine with Drs. Runnels of that city, for several years, and during that time attended the Cleveland, Ohio, Homœopathic Hospital College, entering the same in 1876, and graduating in 1878. He practiced as an assistant to Drs. Runnels from 1878 until 1880, in Indianapolis, and next located in Franklin, Ind., where he practiced for three years, and then closing his office, went to New York City, where he took a post-graduate course in the Post-Graduate College, Bellevue Hospital College and the New York Homœopathic College. He next returned to Franklin, and resuming his practice, has remained ever since, building up a large practice and establishing a firm footing, both professionally and socially. He is at present, and was several years ago, secretary of the Indiana Institute of Homœopathy, and in 1886 was elected to a seat in the city council of Franklin. He was married September 1, 1885, to Mattie Bergen, of Vinton, Iowa, and to this union a son, George B., was born September 5, 1886. Dr. George is a member of the Hesperian Lodge, No. 12, K. of P., and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.