PHILIP C. HALFAKER, one of the oldest blacksmiths in Johnson County, Ind., and doing business in Franklin, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., on July 18, 1834, and is the son of Jacob and Ruth (Campbell) Halfaker, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Father was born August 12, 1802, and died in Johnson County, in 1879. Mother was born in 1812, and died in Johnson County, in 1883. The paternal grandfather was born in Virginia in about 1765, and died in Johnson County in 1850. The Halfaker family emigrated to Johnson County in 1827, and settled in Blue River Township, and in 1837, removed to Clark township, where the subject of this sketch grew to manhood on the farm, and attended the country schools, securing a limited education. In 1851, he came to Franklin and began serving a three years’ apprenticeship at the blacksmith’s trade in the shop of Webb & Clark, and in 1858, began business for himself, and with the exception of four years, has carried on the blacksmith trade in this city. He is a practical mechanic and a first-class workman, and has met with success, his business extending over a large scope of territory. June 16, 1858, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna L., daughter of Jesse and Nancy Coleman, who was born August 11, 1839. To this union are these five children: William C., Charles G., Edgar B., Cora, and Roscoe C. Politically, Mr. Halfaker is a republican, and in 1863 was made a Mason. He and wife are members of the Christian Church. Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, page 611.