W. C. HALL, M.D., physician and surgeon, and a prominent citizen of Franklin, Johnson County, Ind., is a native of New York State, and was born September 11, 1830, at the village of Castile, being the third son of Justice and Rachel (Gibbs) Hall. Dr. Hall entered Alleghany College, at Meadville, Pa., at the age of fifteen years, and spent three years completing the scientific course. In 1849, he entered the office of Dr. J. H. D. Rodgers, of Madison, Ind., and began the study of medicine, and subsequently studied at the Louisville Medical College, and, in 1857, attended his last course of lectures at the Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio. He removed to Jefferson County, Ind., and practiced his profession until 1862, and then enlisted as a private in the Eighty-second Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was shortly afterward transferred to the Seventeenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and commissioned a surgeon. Returning from the war, he located in Franklin, Ind., where he has since resided, and practiced his profession. He has given his entire time and attention to his profession, and that he has made a decided success is evidenced by the large practice he now has and has had for years. During 1875 and 1876, he was president of the Board of Health of Johnson County. He is a member of Wadsworth Post, No. 127, G. A. R., of which he is the present post commander. Dr. Hall was married in March, 1858, to Malvina C. Tilford, of Hanover, Ind., who was born in 1834.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, page 611.