A. G. Hicks, the subject of this sketch, is proprietor of the photographic parlors of Franklin, Johnson County, Ind., and one of the leading young citizens of that place. He was born in Franklin, Ind., on February 23, 1851, and is the son of Royal S. and Mary G. (Keen) Hicks. The father was born in Patriot, Ind., and was the son of Joshua Hicks. He subsequently held position in auditor of state’s office at Indianapolis, and was also appointed to positions under the administration at Washington. He next located at Rockport, Spencer County, Ind., where he engaged in the newspaper business. During the war he was elected to the office of circuit clerk, of Spencer County, and afterward was engaged in the practice of law at Rockport, at which he continued until his death, in 1883. He was one of the best-known men in the “Pocket,” of the state. The mother died in 1869. To the parents nine children were born, of whom five are now living. Our subject was reared principally at Rockport, where he attended the public schools. He left Rockport and came to Franklin, in fall of 1868, and learned the profession at which he is now engaged, with John Nicholson. He continued with Mr. Nicholson for three years, and then purchased the business, and has been conducting same ever since. Does a general work in photographs of all sizes, and has exclusive control of business in town. He is a member of the K. of P. lodge. He was married in 1870, to Bettie Burton, who was born in Kentucky, and was the daughter of Mary Burton. She died in 1873, and he was again married in 1875, to Sallie C. Jackson, of Franklin, daughter of Nathan Jackson. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hicks are members of Christian Church.