WILLIAM JACKSON, councilman of the Second War of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., and foreman of N. M. Pittman's saw-mill, was born in Madison, Jefferson Co., Ind., on March 26, 1850. He is the third of ten children, born to James and Nancy (Loyd) Jackson. The father was born in Indiana in 1821, and is the son of Samuel Jackson, a native of South Carolina. Samuel came to Indiana at an early date and located on a tract of land which he owned on Crooked Creek, in Jefferson County. He followed farming there until about 1867, and then removed to Johnson County, where he died in 1869. The father came to Johnson County in 1864, from Ripley County, and located in Franklin. While in Jefferson County, he followed farming, but since coming to Franklin, has not followed any particular calling. He now resided in Franklin, is a member of the Christian Church, and is a man respected by his fellow-citizens. The mother was born in Kentucky in 1819, and is the daughter of Giles Loyd, a native of South Carolina, who emigrated first to Kentucky and then to Jefferson County, where he died. She is a member of the Christian Church. Our subject was reared in Jefferson, Ripley and Johnson counties, and secured a common school education. He began work in a planing-mill in Franklin, for the Builders and Manufacturers' Association. He was next in the mill of Jones, Bergen & Co., and then at high & Son's planing-mill, and since that time has been with W. H. McLaughlin until the purchase of the mill by Mr. Pittman. He has always taken an interest in public affairs, is a republican in politics, and in 1885, was elected to represent his ward in the city council of Franklin, being elected for a term of four years. He is a member of Hesperian Lodge, No. 12, K. of P., a member of the Christian Church, and is generally respected by his fellow citizens. He was married February 26, 1877, to Clara A. Colbert, who was born in Kentucky in 1848, and is the daughter of Martha (Colbert) King. To this union seven children have been born, four boys and three girls, six of whom survive. Mrs. Jackson is a member of the Christian Church. Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.