James Lee, hotel and livery stable proprietor, of Franklin, Ind., was born in Shelby County, Ind., on February 13, 1838, and is the son of John and Sally A. (Bonner) Lee, the father being a native of West Virginia, and the mother of Ohio. They immigrated to Shelby County in about 1825, and located in that county, where they were married. The father died in 1878, and the mother in 1876. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject was reared on a farm, and received his education in district schools. He located in Franklin in December, 1871, and was merchandising in Shelby County for four years, previous to 1871. He began the livery business upon coming to Franklin, and sold out a year later, and engaged in the restaurant and livery business, and in 1886 took charge of the Hotel Lee, and conducts that popular hotel, and a livery stable, at present. In 1861 he was married to Mollie Landram, who died in 1865, leaving two children, who are now living. In 1876 he was married to Mollie Barnett, daughter of William H. Barnett, recorder of Johnson County, and to their union six children have been born, all living.