John Mccaslin is a native of Scott County, Ind., born September 25, 1825, being the eldest of six children, four of whom are now living. His father, Alexander McCaslin, was born in Mercer County, Ky., January 23, 1801; his mother, Elizabeth (Sellers) McCaslin, was born in Shelby County, Ky., in 1804, and died in Johnson County, Ind., in September, 1860. The McCaslin family came to Indiana in 1815, and in 1829 located in Johnson County two miles south of Franklin. The immediate subject of this sketch attended school in Franklin, in a hewed-log schoolhouse that stood near where the Presbyterian Church now stands. About 1848 he began farming in the southern part of Franklin Township, and in 1864 removed to his present farm, which consists of 354 acres of good land. For twenty-five years Mr. McCaslin has been breeding shorthorn cattle, and now has a herd of seventy. Mr. McCaslin was married in 1851 to Miss M. J. Alexander, born near Greenville, Tenn., December 29, 1829. They have five children, viz.: George A., born 1852; Robert N., born 1856; Martha B., born 1866; John A., born 1871, and William E., born 1875. Mr. McCaslin is a republican, and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.