W. H. MCCOY, one of the leading citizens and merchants of Franklin, Johnson Co., lad., and member of the firm of Yager & McCoy, book and stationery dealers, was born in Clark County, Ind., on the old homestead, on April 26, 1837, and is the son of Collins and Nancy (McDoneld) McCoy. Collins was born on the same farm as his son, in Clark County, on April 17, 1807, and was the son of Maj. John McCoy, an officer of the militia; and James and Rice, two brothers, were in the battle of Tippecanoe, and were later in life Baptist ministers of some note. The great grand-'father was Elder William McCoy, a native of Pennsylvania, and. a Baptist minister. James McCoy was the great great grandfather who came from Scotland at the age of sixteen years. The McCoys came from Pennsylvania to Kentucky, and then to Indiana in 1800. The mother was born in Indiana on March x6, i8i6, and was the daughter of John McDoneld, who came to Indiana from Ohio. Phoebe Richardson was her mother. The father died on August 27, 1872, and mother on October 20, i845,leavingfive children, four boys and one girl. Our subject was the eldest. His sister, Sarah J., is wife of Prof. F. W. Brown, of the Latin chair in college. Our subject was reared on the farm, and secured an early education in common country schools. In 1854, he entered Franklin College, of which his grandfather was one of the founders. He graduated in 1861. He then taught school, first at Seymour, where he was principal of schools, and next elected professor of mathematics at Moore's Hill College, Indiana, and remained there one year. He then .engaged in merchandising at Greensburgh, Ind., and next returned to teaching, and was principal of schools at Old Vernon. In 1869 he returned to Franklin, and engaged in business at his present stand, in the stove and tinware trade. He next engaged, in the drug business, and in 1872, his father dying, he went to the farm in Clark County, and remained ten years, coming here again in 1882, and going in the hardware business with R. A. Alexander. Eighteen months (1884) later, he entered his present business, and has been here since. Was married in 1863 to Miss E. A. Potter, who was born near Greensburgh, Decatur Co., Ind., in 1843, and is a daughter of N. J. M. Potter. He has four children. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.