W. H. MCLAUGHLIN, one of the leading citizens of Franklin, Johnson County, Ind., and junior member of the firm of Waggener & McLaughlin, planing-mill and lumber dealers, of Franklin, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, on January 8, 1833, and is the second of five children, born to L. K. and Esther (Hunter) McLaughlin. Our subject was born in Norwish, Ohio, but reared principally in McConnellsville, that state, where he attended the public schools, securing a limited education. After leaving school he learned the carriage-maker's trade, and in 1850 removed to Franklin, Ind., and continued at his trade until 1857. He then married Miss Kate Tilson, on April 30, 1857, who was born in Johnson County, Ind., on January 4, 1839, and is the daughter of Stephen Tilson. He removed tot he farm the same year, where he remained until the spring of 1863, and where a daughter and son were born. He engaged in the sawmill business in 1863, and ran a mill for one year. Soon after he went to Tipton County, where he remained for about two and a half years, and then purchasing an interest in a mill, removed it to Cass County, Ind., where he remained from 1866 to 1869. He net returned to his farm and spent a year there, being at the same time engaged in the lumber business. In 1871, he located in Franklin, and engaged in dealing in walnut lumber exclusively. From that time on, until about 1883, he was engaged in the lumber business, sawmilling and planing milling, with different parties, and then purchased a mill of his own and rant he same up to August, 1887, when he sold the same to N. M. Pittman. In the early spring of 1888, he formed a partnership with Robert Waggener, and with him is engaged in the planing-mill, sawmill and contracting and building business. In 1862, he volunteered in Company F, of the Fifth Cavalry, Ninetieth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, and served for seven months, resigning on account of disabilities. At the organization of the regiment he was given the position of a supernumerary lieutenant, and soon afterward was elected first lieutenant, which position he held until his resignation, serving under the command of Col. Isaac P. Gray, now governor of Indiana, being on detached duty and with the governor was on the celebrated Bedford raid. Our subject has always been quite prominent as a citizen, taking an active interest in town and county affairs. He has served int he city council several terms, and on the city school board a number of times, and is a member of the board at present, and serving out this second term. He is a republican in politics, and stands high in his party, and in 1882, was chosen by his party to make the race for clerk of the county and in 1884 was nominated for treasurer. He is a member of the Masonic, Knights of Pythias, and Knights of Honor fraternities, and is a member of the Baptist Church. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin four children have been born, all of whom survive. The children are: Lena, wife of C. N. Hall, of Peru, Ind.; Arthur, now city clerk of Franklin; Annie, who lives at home with her parents, and Thad, who clerks in a clothing store at Peru. Mrs. McLaughlin and the eldest daughter are members of the Baptist Church. Lewis K., father of our subject was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1803. He was a graduate of the Eclectic School of Medicine, and practiced his profession in Ohio, for eighteen years, and removed to Franklin, Ind., in 1849, and practiced until his death, which occurred in September, 1851, with cholera, which he contracted while on a visit to Cincinnati, Ohio. The mother of our subject was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1809, and is now a resident of Franklin. Stephen Tilson, father of Mrs. W. H. McLaughlin, was one of the pioneers of Johnson County, coming from Virginia at a very early date, and locating here when the country was almost a wilderness. Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.