W. A. MCNAUGHTON, the subject of this sketch, is one of the leading young citizens and business men of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., and proprietor of the largest dry goods and carpet establishment in the city and county. He was born at Leavenworth, Crawford Co., Ind., on November 4, 1849. He is the son of Rev. S. W. and Sarah (Forbes) McNaughton. The father was born in Indiana, in 1826, and is a minister of the Methodist Church, and has been a member of the Indiana Methodist Episcopal Conference for about thirty-five years, during which time he has occupied pulpits at many points in the southwestern portion of the state. He is now stationed in Vanderburg County. The mother was born in Pennsylvania, and died in 1868. To this union eight children have been born, two of whom are dead. The father has since married. Our subject was reared from his thirteenth year in Edinburg, Johnson Co., Ind., and secured a limited education in the public schools. He began life as a cash boy in the store of Harvey Lewis, at Edinburg, and thence was promoted to a clerkship, and later was cashier and bookkeeper in the bank of Mr. Lewis, remaining with that gentleman until his retirement from business in about 1872. He next took an interest in the dry goods store of John Walsh, and in 1880 the firm removed to Franklin. Upon the retirement of Mr. Walsh, from the business, in 1883, our subject assumed full proprietorship of the business, and continues the same at present. He is a member of the K. of P. order, uniform rank, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married December 27, 1870, to Annie C., daughter of John Walsh, who was born in Edinburg. To this union five children have been born, all of whom are living. Mrs. McNaughton is a member of the Catholic Church.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.