Joseph C. Smith, cashier of the First National Bank, of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., was born in Vincennes, Knox Co., Ind., May 9, 1854, and is the son of the Rev. John F. Smith, a minister of the Presbyterian Church. The father was born in York County, Penn., in January, 1822, and was the son of Hume Smith, a native of Pennsylvania, in which state he followed farming and milling during his life. The Rev. John F. was educated for the ministry, and graduated from Jefferson (now Washington and Jefferson) College, a Presbyterian institute situated at Cannonsburgh, Penn., and also from Princeton (N.J.) Seminary. He began his ministerial work at Bardstown, Ky., in about 1844, and was next located at Owensboro, Ky., and subsequently was stationed at Vincennes, Ind., Richmond, Ind., and in 1859, came to Hopewell, Johnson County, three miles west of Franklin. In February, 1864, he entered the Christian commission, designed for work among the Federal soldiers in the field, and was stationed at Chattanooga, Tenn. During his stay at that point, and while on duty in the hospitals, he was afflicted with “camp fever,” from which he died at the old home in York County, Penn., the same year (1864), he being, at the time of his death, on his way to attend the general assembly of his church, as a delegate, which was called to meet at Newark, N. J. His remains were buried at Lower Chanceford grave yard, York County, Penn. The mother of our subject was Mrs. D. M. Collins, who was born in York County, Penn., in the year 1822, about six months after the birth of her husband. She is the daughter of David Collins, and is now a resident of Franklin, Ind. To the parents six children were born, four of whom survive. Of the children, our subject was the fourth. He was reared at Hopewell, Johnson Co., Ind., and secured a good education in Hopewell Academy. In 1871, he engaged as clerk in the grocery store of L. W. Knobe, of Franklin, where he spent seven months. He next spent a year in school, first at Hopewell Academy, and next took a business course at Commercial College, Indianapolis. He next engaged for a year with David G. Vawter, in the dry goods business in Franklin, and then for six months was with J. P. Banta & Co., merchant clothiers of the same place, and then for three months was with Dunn & Wheat, successors of the above firm. He was next employed as messenger in the First National Bank, of Franklin, until the collapse of that institution in 1877, and was then appointed receiver of the same, and served as such until October, of the same year. He is the only surviving officer of that bank, save one director. In October, 1877, he engaged as salesman for an Indianapolis wholesale house, where he remained until January 1, 1878, and then took a position as bookkeeper in the Second National Bank of Franklin. November, 1881, failing health compelled him to resign his position in the bank, and for a year he remained out of active business, recuperating lost energies. Upon the organization of the National Bank, of Franklin, in August, 1882, he was elected cashier of the same, and holds that position at present. He is a member of the Masonic lodge, and of the Presbyterian Church. In October, 1883, he was married to Kittie Ellis, who was born in Franklin, Ind., August 27, 1857, and is the daughter of Capt. W. B. Ellis, of Franklin. To this union a daughter, Christine, was born March 30, 1887. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Presbyterian Church.