REV. W. T. STOTT, D. D., was born May 22, 1836. His father was Rev. John Stott, a Baptist minister, who was born near Frankfort, Ky., in 1811. His father was William T., a Baptist minister, who was born in Kentucky in 1788. William T. came to Indiana at about the time Indiana was admitted into the Union, and resided there until death, near Vernon, in 1877. He was regarded as a very eloquent preacher, and of his denomination was consid-ered in the front ranks. He was a most earnest and intelligent citizen, and always took active interest in public affairs. Rev. John was a 'minister of forty years' standing, during which time he accomplished much work. He came to Johnson County from Jennings County, in about 1884, and died December 29, 1887. He celebrated his golden wedding in 1884, near Vernon. The mother was Elizabeth Vawter, who was born in Kentucky, in 1811, and was the daughter of Rev. William Vawter, of Kentucky, who came to Indiana at an early date and located near Vernon, Jennings County. She is now living hear Hopewell, Johnson Co., Ind. To the parents five children were born, one of whom died in infancy. Of the children our immediate subject was the third. He was reared near Vernon, Jennings County, on the farm and in the tan yard. His early education was secured in the common schools, which he attended until about his sixteenth year, and then entered Sardinia Academy, at the village of that name, in Decatur County, Ind., which he attended three years. He then taught school for a number of terms, and in the college year of 1856 and 1857, he entered Franklin College as a student, and attended four years, graduating from The classical course in June, 1861. He enlisted in the army in July, 1861, as private in Company I, Eighteenth Regiment Volunteer Infantry. In 1863, he was made captain of his company, and served as such, and commanded regiment in battle of Cedar Creek, in Virginia. He was mustered out December 10, 1864, at Winchester, Va. He then returned to Jen-nings County, and almost immediately entered the Rochester (N. Y.) Theological Seminary, where he remained three years, graduating in 1868. He then returned to Indiana, and for one year was pastor of the Baptist Church, at Columbus, and was next called to act as president of Franklin College in 1869; also filled chair of natural science, acting as president for one year; in 1872, was called to chair of natural science in Kalamazoo, Mich., College, where he remained one year. In 1872, was called to Franklin College, as president, and has remained ever since, filling chair of philosophy, mental and moral. He was married in May, 1868, to Miss Arabella R. Tracy, of Rochester, N. Y., and to this union four children have been born.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.