R. S. THOMPSON, general blacksmith, and a representative citizen of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind., was born in Jennings County, Ind. on January 18, 1835, and is the son of Harrison and Delilah (Finney) Thompson. The grandfather was Robert Thompson, a native of Kentucky, his father being a native of Virginia. Robert, the grandfather, emigrated to Indiana at an early date, and was one of the pioneers of Jennings County. He and his son Harrison and all the family were pioneers and frontiersmen by nature. Harrison, the father, lived and died in Jennings County. He was a hunter. The mother was born in Jennings County, and died when our sub-ject was between four and five years of age. The Thompsons were of Scotch, and the Finneys were of Irish, descent. Both parents are dead. To the parents three children were born, and two are dead. The father remarried, and to this union eight children, seven girls and one boy, were born. Our subject was reared on the farm until his twenty-third year. He secured a limited education, attending school three months during winter, and worked during summer. He was married on October 20, 1858, to Abigail Williams, who was born in Jefferson County, Ind., in 1840. He learned a trade after marriage, in Jefferson and Jennings counties, and came to Franklin on the 25th of January, 1868, and went to work for David Tagg. He next was in the employ of Alex Turner, and in 1878 engaged in business for himself, and now runs a shop. He has met with success and has a good trade, is a good workman, and his trade is increasing. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Presbyterian Church, of which his wife is also a member. To our subject and wife three children have been born: William H. and Lillian L., and Marilous. A curious feature of this family is the representation of three gener-ations, Robert, S. W. H., and Fred, father, son and grandson, all born on January 18, a most singular affair.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.