JAMES C. CORE, the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch, was born in Johnson County, on the 14th day of January, 1834. His father, Jacob Core, was a native of Ohio, from which state he emigrated to Kentucky many years ago, and there married Mary J. Forsyth, who was born at Crab Orchard, in the latter state. Mr. Core was by occupation a miller, and in addition to his trade, he was employed for some time in Kentucky, in the capacity of overseer. He came to Johnson County, Ind., in 1827, and purchased government land in Nineveh Township, upon which he lived until his death. He died a number of years ago at the age of fifty-four, and was buried in the Mt. Pleasant cemetery, where the body of his wife was also laid, she having died later at the age of sixty-four years. James C. Core has spent all his life in Johnson County, and is now one of its oldest citizens, having been a resident over fifty-four years. He grew to manhood on the farm, and in the old log schoolhouse, lighted by a window of greased paper, and furnished with rough puncheon benches, minus backs, he obtained the rudiments of an ordinary English education. On the 25th day of February, 1856, he was married, and immediately thereafter he began carving out a home for himself in Nineveh Township, where he continued to live and prosper until 1887. In that year he disposed of his place in Nineveh, and purchased his present farm in Hensley Township, a beautiful place of eighty acres, well stocked and improved. for some time he handled stock for James P. Forsyth, and did a successful business while thus employed. Mr. Core is one of the industrious farmers of Hensley, and a popular citizen in the community where he resides. He has had ten children, seven living: Matilda E., Martha E., Maria A., George W., John, J. C. and Effie M. The oldest daughter, Matilda, married Henry Hughes, and is living in Nineveh Township. Martha E. is the wife of George W. Short.

Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker

Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.