James Forsyth, deceased.—Conspicuous among the representative citizens of Johnson County, was the late James Forsyth. Mr. Forsyth was a native of Kentucky, born July 6, 1813, and a son of J. and Jane (Sturgeon) Forsyth. He grew to manhood’s estate in Kentucky, and in 1830, moved to Johnson County, Ind., and located a home not far from the city of Franklin. He entered land in Franklin and Nineveh Township, and in time became a large property holder and a prosperous citizen. On the 16th day of February, 1837, he married Miss Ellen N. Ragsdale, daughter of Frederick Ragsdale, one of the pioneer settlers of Hensley Township. Mr. Forsyth identified himself with the First Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in 1843, from which time until his death he was active in the councils of his church and foremost in every work to propagate religious truth. He accumulated a handsome property, but in later life met with financial reverses, which resulted in the loss of a considerable portion of his property. He was liberal in all the word implies, and his numerous benefactions for religious and benevolent purposes, attest his unbounded faith in the Scriptural maxim, that “it is more blessed to give than to receive.” His church and Franklin College owe him a debt of gratitude for munificent gifts received at different times, and many who received his aid in a quiet and unostentatious way remember him as a true friend and benefactor. He served as director of Franklin College in 1875–6, and at one time was president of the First National Bank of Franklin. Mr. and Mrs. Forsyth were not blessed with children of their own, but through their kindness two children were reared, who will always bless the memory of their benefactors. Mr. Forsyth died on the 18th day of March, 1887, but Mrs. Forsyth is still living, having reached a serene and happy old age.