Prof. Benjamin F. Kennedy, the subject of this sketch, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., December 5, 1832, and is a son Mary (Kimbro) Kennedy. Paternally, Mr. Ken from Irish ancestry, and upon the mother’s side, from English. Thomas Kennedy was a native of Kentucky, and a school teacher by profession. He came to Putnam County, Ind., 1861, moved to Johnson County, and settled in Hensley Township. By his marriage with Mary Kimbro, he had four children, all of whom are living. Mrs. Kennedy died in Kentucky, in 1836, and later, Mr. Kennedy married Martha Bowles. Benjamin F. Kennedy passed his youthful years in Putnam County, Ind. His educational training was liberal, attending first the common schools, and later Asbury, now Depauw University, in which institution he pursued his studies three years. In 1850, he began teaching in Putnam County, and after following the profession there for six years, came to Johnson County, where he continued, first in the schools of Union Township, where he located, and later in various localities. He did much toward systematizing the schools of the county, and was the first teacher to introduce the higher branches of learning in the schools outside the county seat. Mr. Kennedy became a citizen of Hensley Township in 1860, and has been here the greater part of the time since. He was for six years principal of the Morgantown schools, and for three years had charge of the high school of Trafalgar. In addition to his work as teacher, Prof. Kennedy served as county examiner of schools under the old law, and was the first superintendent elected, under the law providing for the county superintendency. He discharged the duties of his office in an eminently satisfactory manner, and did much toward awakening an interest in behalf of educational work throughout the county. He taught his last school in the winter of 1878-79, at Union village, the same place where he began his labors in this county in 1856. Prof. Kennedy is a scholarly gentleman, and ranks among the most successful educators of Johnson County. He was married August 31, 1861, to Miss Delilah Davenport, who has borne him two children: Millard F. and Benjamin F.