JOHN M. PARKHURST was born in Cameron County, Tenn., January 11, 1825. His father was Daniel Parkhurst, a native of Kentucky, and an early resident of Johnson County, moving here about the year 1836. Subsequently he emigrated to Illinois, and died in Effingham County, that state, in 1841. His first wife, Celia Stephens, mother of our subject, was born in Tennessee, and died there when John M. was a small boy. Her first marriage was blessed with the birth of five children, three of whom are now living. After the death of the father, John M. returned to Johnson County and began life for himself as a common laborer, working by the month or year until about twenty-three years of age. On the 16th day of march, 1848, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth, daughter of William and Maria Vickerman, after which he began farming on rented land. In 1851 he purchased 120 acres of land in Nineveh Township, since which time he has bought and sold various tracts, and now owns a valuable farm of 190 acres situated one mile northeast of the county seat. In June, 1846, Mr. Parkhurst enlisted in Company C. Third Indiana Regiment, for the Mexican War, in which conflict he participated during its continuance. He took part in the bloody battle of Buena Vista, and other lesser engagements, and was the only man in his regiment who received a written discharge. In 1854, he was elected trustee of Nineveh Township, the duties of which he discharged in an eminently satisfactory manner, for two terms, having been chosen to the office of justice of the peace, in the meantime. He served in the latter capacity, one term, and in 1873-74, was elected assessor of Johnson County. He identified himself with the Odd Fellows fraternity, a number of years ago, and now stands high in the order. Mr. and Mrs. Parkhurst are the parents of the following children: Catherine, Mary, John W., James W., Ella M. and Julia. These members of the family are deceased: Celia M., Susan and Sarah E.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.