DANIEL BRITTON, one of the successful business men of Williamsburg, was born in Greene County, Tenn., January 7, 1833, son of Thomas and Malinda (Cradick) Britton, both natives of Tennessee; the father was born about 1809, of Scotch-Irish descent, 'and died about 1879; the mother was born about 1811,and died about 1840. Our subject's boyhood and youth were spent on a farm in Tennessee. He received a good common school education, and served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, which vocation he followed for a number of years. At the age of twenty-one years he began life for himself, his occupation being blacksmithing. May 25, 1853, he married Elizabeth K. Murphey, a daughter of William and Jemima (Stuart) Murphey, both born in Virginia; the father was of Irish, and the mother of English, descent. This union was blessed with the following children: William F., born February 14, 1854; Mary J., November, 1855; Emma M., May 8, 1857, deceased; Thomas D., October 27, 1861. William was united in marriage, with Mattie McCaffray, October 24, 1877. Mary J., was married to William Wheatley, May 14, 1873. Thomas D. was united in marriage with "China" Keaton, September 6, 1881. The mother was born May 25, 1834. In the late war our subject, lived in the south, and took sides with the Confederate States; he enlisted in Company A, Sixty-first Tennessee, and entered the war as a private, but soon became a lieutenant, which office he held until he surrendered with Gen. Joe E. Johnston, at Abbington, Va., and was paroled at Louisa, Ky., in 1865. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, he is a democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Buchanan. He was tax collector in Tennessee for four years, and after he came to Indiana in 1865, he was elected justice of the peace by a large majority, having received a large republican vote. He owns fifty-four acres of good land, and six town lots in Williamsburg, which are all improved except one. He is recognized as one of the live and wide-awake business men of the town, having a half-interest in a saw-mill, half-interest in tile factory, at Williamsburg, and a half-interest in a tile factory at Trafalgar. He is now postmaster at Williamsburg, known as Nineveh postoffice, to which he was appointed by President Cleveland, April 1, 1888. He is a Royal Arch Mason.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.