JOHN W. CALVIN, a young man of Nineveh Township, was born in Brown County, Ind., March 16, 1852, son of John and Sarah (Conn) Calvin. His father was born in Brown County, Ohio, February 19, 1823, of Irish descent, and died in Brown County, Ind., October 30, 1870. He served through the Mexican War, and again in the War of the Rebellion. He was first lieutenant in the Eighty-second Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and fought in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga and Stone River. After two years' active service, during which time he was several times sent home as recruiting officer, he resigned on account of ill-health, and returned home. He was a member of the Masonic order, and a respected citizen. Mrs. Calvin was born October 15, 1827, and died July 9, 1865. Our subject was reared on a farm, and was left an orphan at the age of seventeen. After this he worked as a farm laborer, and acquired a good education. February 2, 1881, he was married to Miss Alice M. Mullendore. The issue of this marriage was as follows: Omer Thomas, born December 11, 1882; Ida Blanche, January 9, 1883. The mother of these children was born August 1, 1860. She was the daughter of Lewis and Harriet Mullendore, and died March 9, 1884. She was a lady possessing a most beautiful Christian character, embracing Christianity early in life. She was a dutiful wife, an affectionate mother, respected in society, and loved by all who knew her. She was a member of the Christian Church, at Nineveh. Mr. Calvin is a member of the Masonic order, and in politics is a democrat, and has twice been elected trustee of Nineveh Township. December 23, 1887, he was again married to Miss Mollie Hungate. The issue of this marriage has been one child: George Harlan. The mother of this child was born March 1, 1859, and is a daughter of Turner B. and Harriet F. (Whitenack) Hungate. The father was born in Mercer County, Ky., July 28, 1827, of English descent; and the mother was a native of Ireland, and was born October 1, 1831. Mrs. Calvin is an educated and cultivated lady, and was a prominent teacher in the public schools of this county. She and her husband are members of the Christian Church, at Nineveh. Beginning as a farm laborer at the age of seventeen, he has made a record worthy of any man. A man of tireless energy and ceaseless industry, he has accumulated a handsome competence, and is one of the rising young men of the county. he has a splendid farm of 120 acres, one and one-half miles east of Nineveh, upon which he resides, and to its cultivation he devotes his entire attention.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.