LEWIS MULLENDORE, a representative farmer of Nineveh Township, and a prominent man of the county, is the son of Jacob and Catharine Mullendore, and was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, July 30, 1823. His father was a native of Virginia, who came to Ohio at an early day. He learned the tanner’s trade, and, after living in Ohio until 1833, came to Shelby County, Ind., intending to continue in the tanning business, but engaged in farming instead, and a few years later engaged in tanning in a small way. Lewis remained with his father during this time, and at the age of twenty-one, commenced to learn the tanner’s trade. He commenced buying calf-skins, which his father allowed him to tan on shares; and at the end of eleven years he had accumulated about $12,000. His first land purchase was forty acres in Shelby County. He afterward bought 253 acres where he now resides, and has since made other purchases. In 1841, he was married to Harriet E. Records, daughter of William P. and Elsie Records, and to this union the following children have been born: Huldah A., Elizabeth C., Henry C., deceased, Joseph H., William, Jacob, deceased, Alice, Elsie C., Lavinia D., Franklin R., infant, deceased, Jane C., and Glue. At present Mr. Mullendore resides on his farm, which consists of 1,000 acres of well-improved land, provided with all improvements, well fenced and stocked, and contains a fine residence, and is situated four miles from Franklin. He is an honest and upright man, and, with his wife, belongs to the Christian Church. Politically, he is a republican. His father died in 1872, and his mother in 1876. The latter was a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Mullendore’s position today is a fitting reward for the work and toil of a life-time, and shows to all beginners on life’s journey how much more honorable is a life of industry and honesty. No better example of the truly self-made man will be found in central Indiana.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888 page 757.