Achilles V. Pendleton, a prominent, industrious and successful farmer and stock-raiser of Nineveh Township, was born June 5, 1833, son of David B. and Catharine (Smith) Pendleton; the father was a native of Virginia, of Irish descent, born 1795. He emigrated to Jefferson County, Ky., with his parents, when a child, where he remained until 1815, when he went to Newport, Ky., to learn the trade of blacksmithing; during this year assisted in shoeing horses for the American forces. In 1816, he went to Vernon, Jennings Co., Ind., where he worked at his trade, and in connection with his trade he also worked some at bricklaying, helping to build the first court house erected in Jennings County. In 1820, he was united in marriage with Catharine Smith, of Sullivan County, Ind. This union was blessed with the following children: Martha, deceased, Julia, deceased, Samuel, Sarah, deceased, William, deceased, Achilles V., James, deceased, Mary, deceased, infant, deceased, Rufus, Jane, deceased, George, deceased, and Alzora. The mother of these children had all the characteristics to make a good wife and a home happy, being a good Christian woman, and at the time of her death, which occurred August 6, 1868, was a great loss to the church and the community. The father was a man of strict integrity, possessing the entire confidence of all who knew him. He was a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics, was an old Jacksonian democrat. His death occurred March 26, 1866. Our subject was reared on his father’s farm in Jennings County, where he received a good common school education. During winter he attended the country schools in the old pioneer log school-house, working on his father’s farm in summer. Being of a studious turn of mind and very fond of books, his advancement was more rapid than the average boy of his age, and at the age of seventeen years he entered the State University at Bloomington, Ind., a privilege that but few of the boys of that day were permitted to enjoy. At the age of nineteen years he taught a winter term, and then returned to college, where, in 1855, he graduated in a class with Judge D. D. Banta, Rev. John C. Miller, John W. Foster, and others. He began life for himself at the age of nineteen years; but the real struggle, however, did not begin until the age of twenty-two years. Immediately after the completion of his studies at Bloomington, he began winter school in Jennings County, Ind. He remained in Jennings County one year, then came to Johnson County in 1856, where he immediately secured a school and began teaching, which occupation he continued until 1859, when he accepted a position as book-keeper for a company that was constructing levees at Vicksburg, Miss., where he remained until the spring following, when he returned to Johnson County and began teaching school, which he continued until 1862, when he abandoned the profession. March 20, 1862, he was united in marriage with Rebecca S. Forsythe, daughter of Robert C. and Nancy (Pritchard) Forsythe. The father was born in Virginia, but was reared in Kentucky, of Irish descent; the mother was a native of Kentucky; they were among the first settlers of Johnson County. His wife is still living, and though she has reached the good old age of eighty-nine years, her present good health indicates that she may live many years yet. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Pendleton was blessed with the following children: Dora A., born September 29, 1863; Anna Kate, February 9, 1868, and George H., January 5, 1871. The mother of these children was born March 22, 1843. Mr. Pendleton is a man who has taken a great interest in the education of his children. Miss Dora has a polished education, being a graduate of Butler University, and is accomplished in music, and is now teaching music. Miss Anna, and George, are now attending college at Franklin, Ind. He was formerly a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which denomination he early became a member, but in 1S58, he became a member of the Christian Church, and has been an elder in that church about twenty-five years. His family are members of this church. In politics, he is a democrat, casting his first presidential vote for James Buchanan. In 1863, he was elected to the state legislature, and acquitted himself so well in this position that he was again tendered the nomination, but gracefully refused. In 1874, and again in 1876, he received the nomination for congress by the greenback party, against an opposing majority, and was defeated with the others on this ticket. He now owns one of the finest farms, of 565 acres, in Nineveh Township, with substantial buildings, and one of the most beautiful residences in Johnson County, which he so well merits and deserves, having started with nothing. When he arrived in Johnson County, he only had 25 cents, a few books and some clothes, but by close economy and good management, is now surrounded with all the comforts of life. He has made a success of life, and can attribute it all to his own energy and ambition. His vocation since his marriage has chiefly been farming, but in connection with farming has given a great deal of his time and attention to stock. He possesses the confidence of all who know him. He is honest and upright in all his dealings, and his position in society is a fitting reward for the work and toil of a life-time. He has always been friendly to schools, churches and all laudable enterprises tending to benefit the public, his neighbors and the citizens of the county. The faithfulness with with which he has always fulfilled his promises, served him as capital in his earlier days, when he possessed but little property.