DAVID A. PRITCHARD, an old pioneer farmer of Nineveh Township, was born January 7, 1835, and is a son of David P. and Cynthia (Dunham) Pritchard; the father was a native of Kentucky, of Scotch-Welsh descent, was born September 16, 1804, died July 29, 1880. The mother was a native of Ohio, of German descent, born August 21, 1809, and died June 22, 1878. To our subject's parents, were born the following children: Walter, born October 26, 1827; Dunham, November 12, 1830; David A., January 7, 1835; Daniel, December 17, 1837; Robert W., April 1, 1842. Our subject was reared on his father's farm near Williamsburgh; this land was entered by our subject's father about 1827. He received a very limited common school education. At the age of twenty-one years he began the battle of life for himself, by working at the carpenter's trade, but his principal occupation was farming, which vocation he has continued since that time. June 23, 1861, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Sarah A. Daniel, and daughter of George W. and Emeline Watkins. Parents were natives of Kentucky, both of Irish descent. This union was blessed with the following children; Ambrose P., born March 3, 1862; Daniel N., October 26, 1863; Emma, February 19, 1866; Henry, January 16, 1869; deceased; Susan, August 17, 1871; Charles February 19, 1874; Omer, April 13, 1877; Roscoe, March 22, 1880; infant daughter, February 10, 1882. The mother of these children was born September 23, 1839, and departed this life October 1, 1884. He and wife were both members of the Christian Church. He was a member of the Grange order during the lifetime of that order. He was formerly a republican, casting his first presidential vote for Fremont, but in 1874, he voted the national greenback ticket, and has been an ardent supporter of the principles of that party since that time. He now owns eighty acres of good farming land in Nineveh Township. He and family are highly respected by all who know them.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.