JEREMIAH M. WOODRUFF, one of the pioneers of Nineveh Township, a native of Clermont County, Ohio, was born March 4, 1812, a son of Joab and Sophia (Dunham) Woodruff. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, and was born December 16, 1789; he emigrated to Ohio in 1800. He was a farmer and trader in those times, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a democrat in politics, and represented his county in the legislature in 1832, 1833 and 1834, and also served the county two terms as sheriff. He departed this life June 14, 1850. The mother was a native of New Jersey, born January 17, 1792, and was a daughter of Jeremiah and Anna Dunham. She was a devoted Christian, and a member of the Christian Church, and departed this life November 27, 1878. Our subject came with his parents to Johnson County at the age of ten years. He remained with his parents until twenty-one years of age, when his father offered him a farm of 160 acres, or a store which he then owned. He wisely chose the farm, and moved on it after his marriage, which occurred March 28, 1833, wedding Elizabeth Allen, a daughter of Joseph and Jane (Gillaspie) Allen. To this union was born the following children: Joab, May 12, 1834; William N., September 12, 1836; John L., July 31, 1838; Harriet A., December 30, 1840; Alvira A., September 16, 1843; Stephen A., January 9, 1845. The mother of these children was born May 26, 1816, and on December 3, 1862, she was accidentally thrown from a buggy and killed instantly. November 15, 1863, he was united in marriage with Sarah J. Piety, a daughter of William D. and Sarah (Thrailkill) Piety. This union was blessed with the following children: Alice M., born August 26, 1864; James M., December 26, 1866; Piety, February 12, 1869; Rose, April 12, 1871; Benjamin F., January 3, 1874; the mother of these children was born March 6, 1831. Mr. and Mrs. Woodruff, and all their children, are members of the Christian Church. In politics, he is an ardent republican. In 1846, he was elected county assessor, and served two terms. He has owned some 500 or 600 acres of land, but has given some of it away to his children. He is considered one of Johnson County’s best farmers. He has also devoted a great deal of this time to the improvement of cattle, having handled some of the finest shorthorn cattle in the state. Montrose, his home place, is delightfully situated, his buildings are substantial and handsome. Surrounded by his family and all the comforts of life, he undoubtedly has many years to enjoy the fruits of his years of hard labor.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, page 765.