EDGAR D. BREWER, a prominent farmer of Pleasant Township, was born on the old Brewer homestead, three and one-half miles northwest of Franklin, March 25, 1850, and was the son of Daniel and Magdalene (Ditmars) Brewer. His father was born in Mercer County, Ky., June 18, 1814, and was the son of Daniel and Theodocia (Derland) Brewer, with whom he came to Johnson County in 1833. The family settled in the southern part of Pleasant Township, where Daniel Brewer, Sr., and Theodocia, his wife, spent the rest of their lives. Daniel Brewer, Jr., the father of our subject, was married four times, his second wife being our subject's mother. She was born in about 1826, and was the daughter of Garrett Ditmars. The father and mother of our subject were married some time during the year 1849, the mother dying April 2, 1862, and the father March 31, 1887. Edgar D. Brewer was reared on the old homestead in Franklin Township, and in addition to a good common school education, he was a student in Hopewell Academy three years. At the age of nineteen, he became a partner in a general store in Franklin, and gave his attention to this three years. In 1872, he turned his attention to saw-milling, and for three years he was connected with a saw-mill in Pleasant township. He was married October 21, 1873, to Sallie Ann Beazley. She was born in Henry County, Ky., March 23, 1851, and was the daughter of Augustine and Sallie Ann (Webb) Beazley, the former of whom was born in Hensley County, Ky., September 1, 1805, and the latter was born in Henry County, Ky., August 20, 1812. Her parents were married in Henry County, Ky., August 15, 1833. They both spent their entire lives in their native county, the former dying July 3, 1863, and the latter September 21, 1865. Augustine Beazley was the owner of a vast estate, and was also an extensive slave-holder. In August, 1874, Mr. and Mrs. Brewer located on the old Brewer homestead, where the former was born, and resided there until August, 1881, when they removed to their present home in Pleasant township. They now reside on a beautiful farm, one-half a mile west of Whiteland. It contains 104 acres, and is well improved and situated. Besides this, Mr. Brewer is now the owner of the old home farm, in Franklin Township. It contains 205 acres, and is also well improved. Our subject and wife have three children: Norma, born September 1, 1874; John D., January 19, 1878, and Neva, March 24, 1880; all of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Brewer are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics, Mr. Brewer is a democrat. He is one of the leading farmers of the county, and he and wife are among its best citizens.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.