George L. Brunnemer, a successful farmer of Pleasant Township, is a native of Morgan County, this state, born January 22, 1842, and was the son of Anthony and Blancha (Mitchell) Brunnemer, who were natives of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. He was reared on a farm in his native county, and at the age of eighteen he accompanied his parents to Johnson County and settled with them on a farm one mile north of Whiteland. He remained with his father and mother until he reached the age of twenty-one, or until after his first marriage, which occurred on the 5th of February, 1863. The lady that became his wife was Sarah E. McClellan. She was born in this county, and was the daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Clem) McClellan, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. Immediately after marriage, they located in a house on his father’s farm. February 15, 1865, he became a soldier in the Union Army, in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-eighth Indiana Regiment, with which he served as corporal until the close of the war. He was honorably discharged in Indianapolis, September 5, 1865. He then resumed farming on his father’s place, but in the spring of 1866, he removed to his present home in Section 29, of Pleasant Township. He owns a fine farm of 206 acres, which is in a good state of improvement, and about 160 of which are in cultivation. In connection with farming, for the past seven years, he has also owned and operated a saw-mill. His first wife died September 5, 1866, and on the 23rd day of October, 1867, he was married to Nancy C. Vanarsdall, daughter of Cornelius A.B. and Nancy J. (Clem) Vanarsdall, whose history is given elsewhere. She was born in Pleasant Township, this county, October 20, 1849. By his first wife Mr. Brunnemer became the father of two children: James D., born December 11, 1863, married to Louie A. Sharp, and Sarah E., August 12, 1866, deceased. Mr. Brunnemer and his present wife have had three children: Albert T., born October 29, 1869; Ammie J., December 8, 1871, married Hugh E. Johnson, and William J., March 3, 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Brunnemer are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, the former is a republican. He and his wife are among the best citizens of their township.