DR. ZACHARIAH CARNES, of Greenwood, was born in Grayson County, Ky., April 4, 1840, the son of William and Eliza (Decker) Carnes, who were, respectively, natives of South Carolina and Virginia. When he was twelve years old his father died. He received, in the district schools, a knowledge of the ordinary branches of learning, and as early as seventeen years of age, he became a teacher in the public schools of Grayson County. After teaching three terms he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Burnettsville, Hardin Co., Ky., and gave his attention to this until the fall of 1862, when he entered the military service of the State of Kentucky, on the Union side, and served in the capacity of first lieutenant one year. He entered the United States service in the fall of 1864, in Company C, Twenty-first Kentucky Regiment, and served until the close of the war. He received his discharge July 6, 1865. He then resumed mercantile pursuits in Burnettsville, Ky., and soon after this he took up the study of medicine. From 1865 to 1874 he was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Burnettsville and Hardin Springs, Ky., and during the first years of this time he kept up the study of medicine, also. In 1871 he entered upon the practice of medicine at Hardin Springs, still retaining an interest in the store. In the fall of 1874, he entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, and attended one course of lectures. From the spring of 1875, to the fall of 1876, he practiced medicine at Hardin Springs, Ky. During the winter of 1876- 77, he took his second course of lectures in the above named university, and graduated in the spring of 1877. He then resumed practice at Hardin Springs, but in the fall of 1877, came to this county, and located at Greenwood, where he has ever since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Dr. Carnes was married in May, 1860, to Elizabeth Burnett, who died February 1, 1865. In May, 1866, he was married to Martha J. Moore, who died three years later, and on the 25th day of October, 1870, he was married to Mrs. Eliza J. Wood, daughter of William and Sarah Polk, the former of whom died in Greenwood in 1878, and the latter still survives, and makes her home with the subject of this sketch. Dr. Carnes is the father of the following three children: William S. and Henry G., twins, and Floy, the first two of whom are the children of his second wife, and the last was born to his third marriage. Dr. Carnes is a member of the F. & A. M., K. of H. and G. A. R. lodges. He has always been particularly fond of fine horses, and there has been scarcely no time since he was a boy that he has not had in his possession a number of thoroughbreds ranging in value from $200 to $1,500. The Doctor is a member of the Johnson County medical Society. The present wife of Dr. Carnes was married in about 1863, to Mr. H. Wood, who died in about 1866, leaving one child, Harry, who at present is agent of the J., M. & I. Railroad at Greenwood.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.