ROBERT CRAWFORD, an old citizen of Pleasant Township, is a native of Wythe County, Va., born September 13, 1825. He was the son of William and Elizabeth (Smith) Crawford, the former of whom was also a native of Wythe County, Va. His mother was also a native of the same state. His early life was spent on a farm. In 1848, he came to Johnson County, single man, and for some years thereafter, he worked at the carpenter's trade. During the winter of 1849 and 1850, he taught school in Pleasant Township, and his second term of school was taught in Green County, Ind., during the winter of 1853 and 1854. He was married in Pleasant Township, February 28, 1855, to Mrs. Margaret A. Scott. She is also a native of Wythe County, Va., born November 24, 1829, and was the daughter of John and Mary (Smith) Carter, who were also natives of Wythe County, Va., born November 24, 1829, and was the daughter of John and Mary (Smith) Carter, who were also natives of Wythe County, Va. She came with her parents to Johnson County, in 1830, and for five years the family resided in Franklin, where her father worked at the blacksmith's trade. In the fall of 1836, they located in Pleasant Township, where Mrs. Crawford grew to womanhood, and where she was married to John Scott, January 29, 1850. He was a native of the state of Virginia, born February 18, 1830, and was the son of John and Catharine Scott. He died October 19, 1853, leaving two children: Mary H., born December 7, 1850, and Catharine E., born October 17, 1852. Ever since their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Crawford have resided on the farm they now occupy. The chief occupation of Mr. Crawford has been farming, though he has also taught school a great deal in the winter time. To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford these children have been born: William F. and John F., twins, born February 23, 1856; Wesley C., February 4, 1858; Robert L., October 25, 1859; Arminta, October 12, 1861, James A., July 24, 1863, deceased; Maggie, born July 25, 1866, deceased. Mrs. and Mrs. Crawford are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics, he is an ardent republican. Mr. Crawford has served his township in the capacity of justice of the peace four years. He and wife have a farm of about fifty-eight acres, and a conformable home. William F. is a member of the Indianapolis bar; John F. is a merchant in Greenwood; Wesley C. is a student at Depauw University; Robert L. is a theological student of that school, and a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.