Sylvester Justus, of the firm of S. Justus & Co., of Greenwood, was born in Jennings County, this state, April 1840, and was the son of David and Minerva (Wilson) Justus, both of whom were natives of Guilford County, N. C. When he was ten years old his parents came to this county and located in Pleasant Township, where the youth of our subject was spent on a farm. In August, 1861, he entered the service of the Union Army in Company G, Third Cavalry, Forty-fifth Indiana Regiment, with which he served until the 3rd of August, 1864, when his term of enlistment expired. He was captured at LaVerne, Tenn., in 1862, but was immediately paroled. In the latter part of June, 1864, he was captured, but was fortunate enough to make his escape during the following night. He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Resaca, Nashville, the siege of Atlanta, and many other engagements of less importance. From this service he returned to this county and engaged in the harness business in Greenwood. August 3, 1869, he was married to Adelia A. Brewer, who was born in Pleasant Township, this county, March 25, 1851, and was the daughter of David G. and Mary (Commangore) Brewer, who were natives of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Justus entered upon their married life on a farm in Pleasant Township, where the former was engaged in agricultural pursuits for a period of six years. He then operated a tile factory at Greenwood two years. March, 1882, he launched in mercantile pursuits, in Greenwood, but sold his stock at about the end of one month, and soon afterward he became the proprietor of a livery and feed barn in that place, to which his attention was given until September 1, 1887. In January, 1888, he, in connection with his father and brother, Marquis L. Justus, opened a general store in Greenwood, which now has a creditable rank among the leading enterprises in that place. The firm name is Justus & Co. The marriage of Mr. Justus has resulted in the birth of seven children: Leola, Bertie, Bessie, Gina, Edith, Tasitis and Mary, of whom Leola, Bertie and Gina are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Justus are members of the Baptist Church. The former is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. lodges.