REV. SAMUEL C. NOBLE, of Greenwood, is a native of Boone County, Ky., born July 13, 1831, and was the son of George T. and Louisa (Canby) Noble, who were respectively natives of Kentucky and Virginia, the former of Scotch-Irish, and the latter of English, descent. While he was yet a child, less than two years old, his parents removed from Kentucky to this state, and resided for one year on a farm owned by his brother, Hon. Noah Noble, who was then governor of the State of Indiana. That farm was situated within the present limits of the city of Indianapolis. In 1834 the family came to Johnson County, and located on a tract of land in the northern part of Pleasant Township, where the subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. At about twenty years of age he attended Franklin College for a few months, and later on he attended the Asbury University a short time, but was compelled to give up his studies on account of poor health. He then returned home, and soon afterward began to prepare himself for the ministry. He had become a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the fall of 1850. In July, 1855, he was licensed to preach, and in the following fall was received on trial in the southeast Indiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He performed regularly the duties of pastor for a period of sixteen years, when, owing to ill health, he was superanuated. Four years subsequently he was employed as supply pastor of Wood Lawn Mission, Indianapolis, now known as Edwin Ray Methodist Episcopal Church. Since the spring of 1876, Rev. Noble has resided in the vicinity of Greenwood. While his chief attention since then has been given to the management of farming interests, he has also labored as a local pastor. He was married September 15, 1857, to Elizabeth Brann. She was born in Rushville, this state, May 1, 1837, and was the daughter of George W. and Sarah Price (Howell) Brann, who were respectively natives of Kentucky and Ohio, the former of Irish-Welsh, and the latter of Irish-German, descent. Rev. Noble and wife have two children: Luella and Jessie S. The former who has been a student in Depauw University two years, is now the wife of L. M Park, of Pleasant Township. The latter attended Franklin College one year, and is now a student in Depauw University.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.