DR. THOMAS B. NOBLE, an able and scholarly physician of Greenwood, was born in Boone County, Ky., February 12, 1827, and was the son of George T. and Louisa T. (Canby) Noble, the former of whom was a brother of Hon. Noah Noble, ex-governor of the State of Indiana. When he was eight years old his parents came to this state, and first located in Indianapolis. Two years later they came to Johnson County, and located on a tract of land in Pleasant Township, three-fourths of a mile north of the present site of Greenwood. There the subject of this sketch spent his youth on a farm. He received a common school education, and later on attended Franklin College about one year, and this was followed by spending one year under the private instruction of Rev. B. F. Wood, then of Greenwood. In 1848 he began studying medicine with Dr. W. H. Wishard, at Greenwood. The winter of 1851-52 he took a course of lectures in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati. In the spring of 1852, he entered upon his professional duties at Greenwood, where he has been actively engaged ever since. He has now practiced at that point continuously for a period of thirty-six years. During the first eight years of his practice, he was the partner of Dr. W. H. Wishard, but since 1860, he has been alone. Dr. Noble was married November 29, 1855, to Margaret A. Wishard. She was born in White River Township, and was the daughter of John and Agnes (Oliver) Wishard. Their marriage has resulted in the birth of eight children: Agnes, married to D. T. Praigg, and resides in Indianapolis; Margaret W., a graduate of Depauw University, and at present a teacher in Evanston, Ill.; Martha, graduate of Franklin College; Thomas B., who is a student at Wabash College; Mary J., who is a student in Depauw University; and Elizabeth, who is at home. Louisa and John are deceased. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Noble has enjoyed for over three decades a good practice, and one that has enabled him to accumulate considerable property. When he began his professional labors he had not sufficient means to complete his medical studies. But through his practice he has become one of the substantial men of Johnson County. He owns, in all, 628 acres, of land, of which 218 comprises his magnificent farm adjoining the town of Greenwood, and upon which is located his elegant residence. Ninety acres of his land are in White River Township, and the balance in Wabaunsee County, Kan. He is one of the most successful physicians of the county, and he and wife are among its best citizens.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.