Prof. Charles F. Patterson, principal of the high school at Greenwood, is a native of Tipton County, this state, born June 6, 1862. He was the son of Benjamin F. and Lydia E. (Plummer) Patterson. His father was born in Fayette County, Ind., September 6, 1838, and grew to manhood in Fayette and Shelby counties. At sixteen years of age he removed to Tipton County, where he afterward pursued the vocation of a farmer and stock-dealer. He was married there September 5, 1861, to Miss Lydia E. Plummer, of which marriage the subject of this sketch was the only issue. The lady who became his wife was born in Rush County, this state, August 23, 1844. She was the daughter of Hiram and Lydia (Vickrey) Plummer, who removed to Tipton County when she was but four years old. There her father pursued the vocation of a farmer until his death in 1866. Her mother continues to occupy the old homestead in Tipton County. Benjamin F. Patterson died at his home in Tipton County, October 24, 1880. His surviving widow now resides with her only child, the subject of this sketch. The latter spent his boyhood on his father’s farm in his native county. At twelve years of age he became a student in Spiceland Academy, in Henry County, Ind., in which institution he completed an academic course. Later on he entered the Central Normal College, of Ladoga, Ind., in which he completed both the scientific and classical courses, graduating in 1879. Since then he has completed a course in pedagogy, and has passed the examinations of Wabash College. He labored as an instructor in the schools of Tipton County, for several years, during two of which he was principal of the high school at Sharpsville, and, during three of which, he was principal of the high school at Tipton. In 1886, he accepted the principalship of the high school at Greenwood. Prof. Patterson was married October 10, 1884, to Miss Melva M. Avis. She is a native of Greenfield, Hancock County, Ind., born March 6, 1862, and was the daughter of James F. and Lucy J. (Lineback) Avis, the former of whom was born in Greencastle, Ind., and the latter in Greenfield, Ind. They are at present residents of Tipton. Prof. Patterson and wife are members of the Christian Church. The former is a member of the K. of H. lodge, and in politics, he is a democrat. He is admirably adapted for the duties of his chosen profession, and, though young, his reputation as a successful educator is already well established.