CHARLES E. PEGGS, a farmer and tile manufacturer of Pleas-ant Township, was born on a farm, June 4, 1857, and was the son of Joseph and Mary (McCrady) Peggs, of Pleasant Township. As early as fourteen years of age he became employed in a tile factory, which is located on the home place, and which was then owned by his father. During the next four years he attended school in the winter, and in summer be was wholly employed in the tile factory. At the age of eighteen he rented the factory, and for several years conducted it in this way. At the age of twenty-four, or in 1881, he became its proprietor, and has continued to operate it since. Mr. Peggs also attends to the management of his farm, which is in a good state of improvement and cultivation. He was married October 28, 1877, to Clara V. Hester. She was born in Shelby County, this state, October 23, 1857, and is the daughter of Stephen W. and Martetia (Stanton) Hester, who now reside in Pleasant Township. Mr. and Mrs. Peggs are the parents of five children: Harry E., born April 14, 1879; Joseph W., October 15, 1881; Alfred L., December 8, 1883; Arthur R., August 7, 1885, and Clara A., November 10, 1887, all of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Peggs are members of the Christian Church. In con-nection with his other interests Mr. Peggs makes a specialty of breeding short-horn cattle. He now owns a half interest in an ex-cellent herd of that class of stock, and he is at present secretary of the Short-horn Breeders' Association, of Johnson County.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.