DR. DAVID H. SHUTTERS, a respected and worthy citizen of Pleasant Township, was born in Scott County, this state, December 5, 1840, and was the son of Mathias and Nancy (Thomas) Shutters, the former of whom was born in Virginia, June 9, 1811, and was the son of Henry and Mary (Andis) Shutters. The latter was born in the State of Connecticut, September 30, 1813, and was the daughter of Jonathan.Thomas. His parents were married in Jackson County, this state, November 3, 1833. They are both living, and now reside near Kokomo, Howard County. When the subject of this sketch was nine years old his parents moved to Marion County, Ills., but only remained six weeks. Returning to this state, they came to Johnson County, and located in White River Township, where our subject spent his youth. The chief occupation of his father at that time was farming, though he also in connection with this, carried on a harness and shoe-making business, and conducted a cooper shop, so that besides working on a farm, our subject had an opportunity to familiarize himself with some two or three trades, which he did. In September, 1861, he entered the service of the Union. Army, in Company F, Seventh Indiana Regiment, with which he served nearly two years, when, because of disability, he was compelled to retire. He was in the battles of Green Brier, W. Va., Second Battle of Bull Run, the Wilderness and Gettysburg, besides several other engagements. He was honorably discharged at Indianapolis, May 9, 1863, and immediately returned home to recruit his health. On regaining his health he resumed farm work, and was otherwise variously employed for some four or five years. He then took up the blacksmith's trade to which he gave a good part of his attention for a number of years. In 1870, he began the study of veterinary surgery, and for the past sixteen years he has been actively engaged in the practice of that branch of medicine. He now gives his exclusive attention to the study of the horse and the treatment of its diseases. He has always had a particular fondness for this animal, which, united with several years of careful study, makes him admirably fitted for the duties of this profession. Mr. Shutters has been a member of the State Veterinary Society since the fall of 1886. His home ever since he was nine years old, has been in this county, and he has resided in Pleasant Township since 1871. Mr. Shutters has been married twice. His first marriage was to Mary C. Surface, February 6, 1862, and his second marriage was to Mrs. Mary E. Park, March 2, 1872. His present wife was born in Morgan County, this state, September 23, 1839, and was the daughter of Anthony and Blancha Brunnemer. Mr. Shutters is the father of four children, as follows: Minnie A., born December 14, 1872, deceased; Ottilla L., May 13, 1874; Fola O., September 22, 1876, and Charles W., June 17, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Shutters are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Masonic and G. A. R. lodges, and in politics, he is a republican.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.