ANDREW W. VORHIES, a farmer of Pleasant Township, was born in the tornwhip in which he resides, April 6, 1835, and was the son of Isaac B. and Rachel B. (Whitenack) Vorhies, both of whom were natives of Mercer County, Ky. His father was born August 10, 1801 and was son of Jacob and Margaret Vorhies. His mother was born SEptember 28, 1801, and was the daughter of ABram and Ann Whitenack. His parents were married in Mercer County, Ky., July 21, 1825. They came to Johnson County and settled in Pleasant Township in 1827. They afterward removed to White River Township, where both spent the rest of their lives, the father dying March 29, 1871, and the mother December 25, 1879. The subject of this sketch was, perhaps, four or five years old when his parents removed to White River Township. He grew to manhood in that township, but in April, 1861, he located in Pleasant Township, and there resided until December, 1866. He then removed to White River Township, but in August, 1868, he returned to Pleasant Township, and settled where he now resides. His entire attention has been given to agricultural pursuits. He owns eighty-two acres of good land, which is well improved, and fifty-five of which are in cultivation. Mr. Vorhies was married October 10, 1860, to Fannie Neiman. She was born in Dauphin County, Penn., December 19, 1839, and was the daughter of George and Mary (Franks) Neiman, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. Her mother was born April 20, 1808, and died March 29, 1842. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Vorhies has resulted in the birth of six children: Mary A., born September 24, 1861; Isaac H., December 17, 1863; Elizabeth E., September 12, 1866, deceased; Ollie F., April 22, 1868, deceased; Bertie A., October 7, 1876, and Maudie May, November 22, 1881. Mr. Vorhies is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the Knights of Honor lodge. He is an industrious and successful farmer, and he and wife are good citizens.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.