JAMES F. WILEY, a citizen of Pleasant Township, was born in Lewis County, Ky., January 25, 1823, and is the son of James and Martha K. (Looney) Wiley, the former of whom was born in Philadelphia, December 14, 1790, and died in Indianapolis, March 1, 1883; the latter was born in Lewis County, Ky., January 23, 1798, and died in the city of Indianapolis, March 29, 1875. They were married in Lewis County, Ky., June 27, 1816. When the subject of this sketch was three years old his parents removed to this state and settled in Rush County. There he spent his boyhood and youth, doing farm work in summer and attending school in winter. He was married in Rush County, February 24, 1842, to Drusilla Myers. She was born in Rush County, November 22, 1822, and was the daughter of Henry and Hannah (Salisbury) Myers, the former of whom was a native of Pennsylvania, born September 8, 1787, and died in this county in September, 1871; the latter was a native of Lewis County, Ky., born July 15, 1794, and died in Greenwood, this county, in September, 1870. They were married in Lewis County, Ky., February 17, 1812. In 1856, Mr. and Mrs. Wiley removed from Rush County to this county, and located where they now reside. The life occupation of Mr. Wiley has been farming. He owns a handsome farm of 204 acres, which is admirably situated, and about 160 of which are in cultivation. Mrs. and Mrs. Wiley have had seven children: Nancy A., born January 15, 1843; American P., December 29, 1847, deceased; Sarah J., August 4, 1849; Marcus D.L., August 2, 1851; Myrtle B., October 17, 1856, deceased; William A., May 27, 1859, and Friend F., July 14, 1862. Mrs. and Mrs. Wiley, and their five children, are members of the Christian Church. In politics, Mr. Wiley is a democrat. He was elected a member of the board of county commissioners in 1858, and was subsequently reelected to that position three times, serving, in all, twelve consecutive years, to the entire satisfaction of the public.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.