William H. Hamilton was born in Union Township, this county, September 8, 1834, and is the son of Micajah and Elizabeth (Luyster) Hamilton. The father was born in Culpepper County, Va., in 1797, and died in this county in 1878. He was the son of a native of Virginia, who was an early settler of Kentucky, where Micajah Hamilton was reared. The mother of our subject was born in Mercer County, Ky., in 1797, and died in this county in 1884. The marriage of Micajah Hamilton and Elizabeth Luyster was consummated in Kentucky, and unto them were born the following children: Peter L., John, Rachel, Mary, Susan and Nancy, and then the parents and children came to this state and county in 1834, and located in Union Township, where the deaths of the parents occurred. To them, after their arrival, were born these children: William H., Martha, Robert P. and James T., and two others who died in infancy. Of these children, eight are living, four in Johnson County, two in Missouri, one in Kansas and one in Iowa. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and received an education in the country schools. He has followed farming for an occupation. In 1856 he was married to Charlotte J. Terrell, daughter of Henry H. and Nancy (Foster) Terrell, natives of Kentucky, coming to this state about 1854. Mrs. Hamilton was born in Nelson County, Ky., March 2, 1840. The following are the children born unto the above marriage: Nancy E., Peter S., Addie J., Mary E., Martha E., Emma S., and Blanche C. Not long after the marriage of Mr. Hamilton [he] went to Kansas, where he lived for a period of four years, and then returned to his native state and county, where he has since made his home. Soon after his return to Indiana, the Civil War broke out, and in 1862, August 20, he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Indiana Infantry, as private, and among the important engagements in which he participated, were Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam and Union. June 30, 1865, he was mustered out of the service, at Point Lookout, Md. At the close of the war he returned to his home, and since has been actively engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are members of the Presbyterian Church at Shiloh.