J. J. CLARY.
Fealty to facts in the analyzation of the character of a citizen of the type of J. J. Clary is all that is required to make a biographical sketch interesting to those who have at heart the good name of the community, because it is the honorable reputation of the man of standing and affairs, more than any other consideration, that gives character and stability to the body politic and makes the true glory of a city or state revered at home and respected abroad. In the broad light which things of good repute ever invite, the name and character of Mr. Clary stand revealed and secure and, though of modest demeanor, with no ambition to distinguish himself in public position or as a leader of men, his career has been signally honorable and it may be studied with profit by the youth entering upon his life work.
J. J. Clary, a successful farmer of White River township, of which civil subdivision he is trustee, was born on May 23, 1870, on the farm on which he now lives and is the son of Wesley P. Clary, whose death occurred in 1884. His mother, Ursula (Dorrell) Clary, a native of Johnson county, is still living. Wesley P. Clary was the son of David Clary, whose parents were natives of Ireland. He married a Miss Bristow, of Welsh descent. The Clarys were early settlers and pioneers of Indiana, and have always been numbered among the best citizens of their community. To Wesley P. Clary and wife were born five children, namely: Mrs. Martha Sedden, of Marion county, Indiana; David Franklin, who died in 1879; Mrs. Mary Catherine Surface, of Oldenburg, Texas; J. J., the immediate subject of this sketch, and Minnie, who was born in 1876 and died in 1882. After the death of her husband, the subject’s mother married George Hughes, with whom she is still living.
J. J. Clary received a good practical district school education and has followed farming during all his active years. He lived with his mother on the home farm until attaining his majority, when he went to Indianapolis, where he was a member of the police force for two years. He was a good officer, but preferred the independent and out-door life of the farm and returned to the home farm, thirteen acres of which he had inherited from his father and to which he thereafter gave his strict attention. He was prosperous in his efforts and added to his original holdings from time to time as he was able until he is now the owner of sixty-seven acres in White River township and forty acres in Pleasant township. The place is well improved and maintained in excellent condition, the nice lawn and attractive home, with all modern appointments, making life very pleasant and commending the owner as a man of good judgment and excellent taste.
From boyhood Mr. Clary has taken an active interest in political affairs, giving his support to the Democratic party, and in 1897 he became road supervisor of the township for four years, while in 1908 he was elected trustee of White River township for a four-year term which, however, by legislative enactment was lengthened to six years. He is now engaged in the erection of a new school house, which will cost about fifteen thousand dollars, having four rooms and basement and modern in every respect. Religiously, Mr. Clary has for a long time been an member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while, fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Stone’s Crossing, in which he has been a member for twenty-two years and an incumbent of one office or another for eighteen years. He also be- longs to the Masons at Bargersville.
On January 31, 1891, Mr. Clary was united in marriage to Brusan Hughes, a daughter of George Hughes. To them have been born three children, Hazel Kirk, born August 17, 1893, George Denzel, born June 30, 1899, and Elsie Glenn, born November 8, 1900. Mr. Clary is a most gracious and companionable gentleman, honorable and reliable in all his dealings, and he ranks among the enterprising and public-spirited citizens of the community in which he resides, manifesting an active interest in whatever pertains to the progress of his county, and co-operates with others in forwarding all measures whereby his fellowmen may be benefited. Because of his high principles and his success in life he is held in high favor by his fellow citizens.